Our commitment to sustainability
At InsideAsia we believe business should be a force for good. For you the traveler, for the communities you’ll visit and for the communities that we live and work in.
Sustainability has always been at the core of our business, from the way we run our trips to how our staff get to work and how our offices run. We are always striving to strengthen our positive and minimize our negative impacts. In our mind, there will always be room for improvement, that's why we've laid out our vision for the future, too.
We’ve begun giving back more than we ever have before by fulfilling three commitments:
- We’ve become certified B-Corp. You can read more about our journey and what B Corp is on our blog.
- We’re a certified CarbonNeutral® company – working to reduce our footprint as much as possible and offsetting all unavoidable emissions (including from our customers’ trips) through verified renewable energy projects in Asia.
- We’re now giving back 5% of our profits to charities that give low-income or disadvantaged families days away from home.
But we’re not stopping there, we have further commitments we’re still working on:
- Reducing our emissions by 50% by 2030
- Improving our B Corp score (80.3 points) to above 90 points when we recertify in 2026
We may not have all the answers but we’re working towards some big goals and would like to take you with us on that journey. If you have any thoughts about our sustainability journey, contact us to tell us.
- We know our destinations inside out and design trips to benefit our destinations by choosing locally owned accommodation wherever possible.
- We help our clients reduce their plastic use by providing a reusable water bottle for the majority of our Asia destinations and promoting the app Refill My Bottle.
- We only work with suppliers who follow the same ethos as us.
- We have a strong animal welfare policy based on scientific criteria that excludes activities such as elephant riding or bathing, as both involve cruel breaking-in techniques.
- We support NGOs that improve health and education schemes in our destination countries, such as Child’s Dream.
- We look after our staff by paying them a living wage and providing them opportunities to thrive.
- We give back to our communities. Through volunteering and donating money, we are long-standing supporters of the following charities: Family Holiday Charity and Circus Starr.
- We endeavor to influence the wider travel industry by being an active member of AITO and ABTA sustainability networks.
Reducing our footprint
- As a certified CarbonNeutral® company, all our trips are fully offset thanks to verified sustainable development projects across Asia - like the award-winning biogas project in rural Vietnam and renewable wind power in India. Since 2020, we’ve offset over 8000 tonnes of carbon emissions with Climate Impact Partners, and by the end of 2023, that number will reach approximately 60,000 tonnes.
- We have measured our entire carbon footprint as a company, from our offices, to our staff commuting, to the accommodation in your trip.
- Our head office runs on renewable energy, we implement smart heating and cooling systems and are working towards being a zero-waste office.
- We encourage staff to commute using public or active transport by providing Eco-passes for our US employes and bike facilities in our UK and Australian offices.
- We provide bespoke sustainability training for all staff, including how they can reduce their own carbon footprint.
- We implemented a hybrid working policy in 2020 which allows more flexibility for staff and reduces commuting emissions.
- We are moving to Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure by 2023, which is more efficient than having our own servers.
- We have helped plant hundreds of trees in Bristol through the One Tree Per Child scheme and donated one tree per employe in 2020.
- We update our Climate Action Plan annually to be transparent about how we are progressing with reducing carbon used in our business.
- We are a founding signatory of the Glasgow Declaration and collaborate with other tour operators to implement climate action in the tourism industry.