Our commitment to sustainability
At InsideAsia we believe business should be a force for good. For you the traveller, for the communities you’ll visit and for the communities that we live and work in.
Sustainability has always been at the core of our business, from the way we run our trips to how our staff get to work and how our offices run. We are always striving to strengthen our positive and minimize our negative impacts. In our mind, there will always be room for improvement, that's why we've laid out our vision for the future, too.
When the Covid-19 virus brought travel to a standstill, we really had to reflect on that future. We chose a one that gave back more than we ever had before and set out two further commitments for the coming years:
- Giving back 5% of our profits to charities that give low-income or disadvantaged families days away from home.
- Becoming a certified B-Corp.
- Becoming a carbon neutral organisation by 2025, by offsetting all unavoidable emissions in our own operations and all the emissions from our customer's trips.
We may not have all the answers but we’re working towards some big goals and would like to take you with us on that journey. If you have any thoughts about our sustainability journey, contact us to tell us.
- We know our destinations inside out and design trips to benefit our destinations by choosing locally owned accommodation wherever possible.
- We help our clients reduce their plastic use by providing a reusable water bottle for the majority of our Asia destinations and promoting the app Refill My Bottle.
- We only work with suppliers who follow the same ethos as us.
- We have a strong animal welfare policy based on scientific criteria that excludes activities such as elephant riding or bathing, as both involve cruel breaking-in techniques.
- We support NGOs that improve health and education schemes in our destination countries, such as Child’s Dream.
- We look after our staff by paying them the living wage and providing them opportunities to thrive.
- We give back to our communities. Through volunteering and donating money, we are long-standing supporters of the following charities: Family Holiday Charity and Circus Starr.
- We endeavour to influence the wider travel industry by being an active member of AITO and ABTA sustainability networks.
Reducing our footprint
- All customer trips will be carbon neutral via a Gold Standard carbon offsetting scheme in Vietnam.
- We measure our own carbon footprint (staff travel, office and home working emissions), reduce everything we can and offset anything we can’t. Since 2020, we’ve offset 660 tonnes of carbon with the Vietnam Biodigester Programme with Climate Impact Partners.
- Our head office runs on renewable energy, we implement smart heating and cooling systems and are working towards being a zero-waste office.
- We encourage staff to commute using public or active transport by providing Eco-passes for our US employees and bike facilities in our UK and Australian offices.
- We provide bespoke sustainability training for all staff, including how they can reduce their own carbon footprint.
- We implemented a hybrid working policy in 2020 which allows more flexibility for staff and reduces commuting emissions.
- We are moving to Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure by 2023, which is more efficient than having our own servers.
- We have helped plant hundreds of trees in Bristol through the One Tree Per Child scheme and donated one tree per employee in 2020.
- We are a founding signatory of the Glasgow Declaration and collaborate with other tour operators to implement climate action in the tourism industry.