Active Southern Thailand
If sun, sea and sweat are your idea of the perfect holiday, look no further.
Sunbathing? What, are you mad? This itinerary is about getting the blood pumping — whether you’re kayaking through mangroves, climbing up cliff faces, stand-up paddleboarding at dusk, or exploring caves deep in the rainforest.
All transfers will be by private vehicle with an English-speaking guide, with journey times ranging from 30 minutes to three and a half hours.
This itinerary includes some of the best adventure sports experiences in Thailand
It’s easily extended with more beach time — or a bit of exploration in the centre and north of Thailand
You’ll get to see some of the most dramatic natural scenery in the country
Things to consider
The beach seasons in Krabi and Phuket mean this trip is best taken from December to August
Several of the included experiences are group activities, so expect to be joined by other adventure-seekers on certain days
This trip only covers a small part of Thailand geographically, and doesn’t include any big cities or historical destinations
There’s no messing about in hectic cities on this itinerary — instead, get straight into nature in the remote and rugged landscape of Khao Sok National Park. Often compared to Halong Bay for its towering, jagged limestone karsts, Cheow Lan Lake is your base for adventures into the surrounding rainforests, caves, karsts and coves of this magnificent region. Trek to the beautiful Emerald Lagoon, ride in a bamboo boat to Coral Cave, kayak and swim in the luminous green water, and wake up in a floating lodge surrounded by the chirps of birds and the hoots of gibbons. What a way to begin your adventure!
Stay in a floating villa on Thailand’s most beautiful lake
Explore the limestone caves and karst pinnacles of Cheow Lan by boat
Trek through the jungle to the Emerald Lagoon
It’s no Bangkok, but the laid-back beach region of Krabi certainly isn’t short on action! Throw yourself straight into the thick of it with an evening street food tour, where rows of stalls peddle everything from kanom jeen curried noodles to wan yen shaved ice desserts. Then, it’s time for some action of a different kind, as you paddle through Krabi’s twisted mangrove forests, canyons, caves and lagoons, with rare birds soaring overhead and monkeys swinging in the branches. Finally, explore the region’s jungles and villages by bike, stopping to cool off in the Emerald Pool, soak in hot springs beside a waterfall, and wander forests filled with the sounds of wildlife.
Get an introduction to southern Thai cuisine on a street food tour
Kayak among the twisted roots of Krabi’s mangrove forests
Cycle through the countryside to rural villages and hidden hot springs
The finer detail
- Breakfast every day
- Six lunches: two at the accommodation in Khao Sok; one during the mangrove kayaking tour; one during the cycling tour; one during the climbing in Railay; one during the day trip in Phang Nha Bay
- Three dinners: two at the accommodation in Khao Sok; one evening food tour in Krabi
- Five full-day experiences: jungle safari and cave visit in Khao Sok National Park; Mangrove kayaking; cycling through villages, jungles and hot springs; rock climbing at Railay; snorkelling day trip to Phang Nha Bay
- One half-day experience: boat and kayak on Chiew Larn Lake
- Two evening experiences: street food tour of Krabi; paddleboarding with bioluminescent plankton
- All entrance fees to sites included in guided experiences
- All internal transport & accommodation
Logistics and journey times
Car transfer from Phuket Airport to Khao Sok National Park (2.5 hours)
Car transfer from Khao Sok National Park to Krabi (2.5 hours)
Round-trip car transfers to kayaking area (1.5 hours each way)
Round-trip car transfers to cycling experience (1 hour each way)
Car transfer from Krabi hotel to Railay hotel (30 minutes)
Car transfer from Railay to Phuket (3.5 hours)
Car transfer from Phuket hotel to airport (45 minutes)
What's not included
- International flights
- Meals not mentioned
- Entrance fees to any sites not included in guided experiences
- Tips for guides & porters