Like this post? Help us by sharing it!
It may seem like we spend quite a lot of our time enthusing about Hoi An, the delightful old port town in central Vietnam, but there is a very good reason for this. There is nowhere else in the country, and arguably in the whole of Southeast Asia, that is quite so blessed with attractions as Hoi An.
Let’s quickly remind ourselves why Hoi An is so great:
- Hoi An Old Town – an ancient riverside town brimming with history and replete with traditional architecture influenced by traders from across the continent.
- Cua Dai Beach – just fifteen minutes from town lies a glorious stretch of beach, lapped by the warm waters of the South China Sea, with off-shore islands perfect for snorkelling and diving.
- Fabulous cuisine – indulge in some of Vietnam’s finest food, both traditional and contemporary, and learn to create some for yourself at one of the excellent cooking schools.
- Relaxation – grab a book and take it easy – Hoi An is perfect for sitting at a riverside café, sipping a coffee and watching the world go by.
- Bucolic countryside – hop on the ferry across the Thu Bon River and immerse yourself in the timeless rhythms of rural Vietnam, strolling or cycling through the rice paddies, greeting the locals as you pass.
- Ancient ruins at My Son – a short drive through glorious countryside from Hoi An are the My Son ruins, relics of the ancient Cham Kingdom that dominated this region for more than a millenium.
In addition to all these permanent charms, Hoi An also hosts a wonderful Lantern Festival timed to coincide with the full moon, and the dates for 2015 have just been released. At this time the town is illuminated with countless colourful lanterns, adding an even more magical atmosphere to our favourite spot in Vietnam.
2015 Hoi An Lantern Festival Dates
|4 January 2015||29 July 2015|
|2 February 2015||27 August 2015|
|4 March 2015||26 September 2015|
|2 April 2015||26 October 2015|
|2 & 31 May 2015||25 November 2015|
|29 June 2015||24 December 2015|
There is plenty of fabulous accommodation catering to all tastes and budgets in Hoi An, but please be aware that the Lantern Festival is particularly popular so you will need to book well advance. Chat with one of our specialists to arrange your own Hoi An experience.